Sunday, August 2, 2009

Dash for Cache - Ocala - Post 1

Dash for Cache
Ocala National Forest
Aug 15-16th
7pm – 7am


Explore the Ocala National Forest in a Rogaine-style Night Adventure.

This is an informal event for individuals or teams where participants search for geo-caches and earn points based on the terrain & difficulty.

The participants with the most points that have returned by the 7am deadline will be declared the winners.

There is a strict 12-hour time limit. All participants not checked into the main camping site by 7am finish deadline will be not be counted for overall rankings.

On August 8th I will post a list of the caches that are eligible and the starting point. Ocala is a large area so be prepared to spend some time planning each cache that you will attempt to find.

My contact info is Kier O'Neil at: kieroneil@yahoo.com or 904-233-2605. Please put “Dash for Cache” in the subject line. All those that send me an email will get a spreadsheet of the caches to be used during the event.

This is a Free event organized for the pleasure of getting out into nature. The winner will get an authentic set of Geo-Caching dogtags (aka travel bugs ;-).

Suggested Gear:
GPS
Headlamp
Digital Camera (we request that you take a photo of each cache for verification)
Maps ( I may be able to provide maps for the cost of printing them)
Pen
Mapcase
Extra batteries
Bug spray
Enough food for 12 hours
Hydration bladder with purification tablets or water filter.
First Aid Kit
Camping gear in case you decide to sleep a little.

Disclaimer: Any outdoor activity in the wilderness is risky. You assume the risk by participating and hold harmless the organizer.

2 comments:

  1. Hey send me the starting coords for the fun event, I will come and take pictures and meet some of my soon to be new heros. I wished I was 20 years younger, I would be all over this...I have enjoyed finding out about all the in and outs of this great sport...

    ReplyDelete
  2. why is this not posted as a regular event???

    ReplyDelete